Justice for Shahrokh Zamani
Join the international condemnation of Shahrokh Zamani’s death and also call for the unconditional release of all labour activists and political prisoners in Iran and recognition of workers to have the right to organize freely without fear of persecution.
A new round of intimidation, arrests and prosecution of teachers in Iran
The Islamic Republic of Iran has started this new wave of arrests and persecution of teachers and education activists in Iran despite national and international condemnation and cries for the release of all arrested teachers. The resumption of persecution of teachers aims to create a climate of fear and intimidation prior to the opening of schools in Iran in Mehr 1st 1394 (September 23, 2015).
Joint May Day Resolution of Independent Iranian Workers’ Organizations
Today, we have come together in solidarity at a time when a large and united movement of workers, teachers, nurses and other toiling masses in Iran is in the process of formation around the issue of subsistence and ending poverty and squalor.
Forum and Discussion- Crisis in the Labour Movement: Is Labour Renewal Possible?
Another wave of arrests and repression of labour activists in Iran prior to May Day
we strongly condemn the unjust persecution and sentences against these labour activists. we also denounce ongoing persecution and arrests of labour activists in Iran including the repression of May Day organizing efforts. we demand the immediate and unconditional freedom of all labour activists in Iran.
Lessons from Mineworkers’ Strike in Bafgh
Many other labour activists across the country are being persecuted and arrested and facing legal battles and have been charged with various sham charges.
Updates on Reza Shahabi!
Thanks to national and international campaigns The authorities of the Islamic Republic of Iran were pressured to release Reza Shahabi in fall 2014; however, he was released for medical reasons thus has not fully discharged. Reza Shahabi is now at home with his family while under medical supervision as well. We continue to demand the unconditional freedom of Reza Shahabi and the withdrawal of all the remaining charges against him and his right to return to his work and compensated for years of mistreatment and financial hardships.
The second phase of subsidies elimination: What will that mean for the working class?
The question is whether people in Iran, particularly the most disadvantaged section of the working classes and the poor would be able to endure such sufferings any more. Iran moving towards revolts or not?
Neoliberalism in IRI: a brief history From Rafsanjani (1989) to Rouhani (2014); a continuum
Rouhani’s economic priorities and his implementation of the “Second Phase of Subsidies Elimination” are early indication that in term of pursuing aggressive neoliberal policies, he will prove to be the most neoliberal administration yet.
Women's conditions: The situation of women is worse than that of the men in almost all aspects of employment and societal standards. According to official statistics female workers gain 59% of the wages of a man for an equal work. Moreover, women constantly undergo sexual harassment especially by the employers. Women constitute about 12 percent of the “active” labour force, and all together 95 percent of women workers across Iran are employed in workshops of 10 employees or less.
LATEST IRAN NEWS
- Amnesty International Urgent Action: Iranian Jailed trade unionist’s health and life at risk: Jafar Azimzadeh
- Swiss Trade Union Confederation: Free Jafar Azimzadeh! Stop Brutal flogging sentences against workers!
- IndustriALL Global Union calls on Government of Iran to end flogging of mineworkers & respect human & labor rights
- Renowned scholars & activists in solidarity with Jafar Azimzadeh & denouncing flogging selectness against workers in Iran
- CUPE condemns flogging sentences against workers in Iran & demands release of Jafar Azimzadeh
- Jafar Azimzadeh on his 41st day of hunger strike; 9 other mine workers received flogging sentences
- Open letters to ILO by independent labour organizations and activists in Iran
- Open Letter to 105th Session of the International Labour Conference - From Tehran Bus Workers' Syndicate
- Brutal flogging sentences against mine workers in Iran
- Support the Demands of the Incarcerated Hunger Strikers in Iran
- Demonstration Outside ILO Conference in Geneva-June 6, 2016
- Esmail Abdi released on bail on May 14, 2016
International Daily Briefing
- Malaysia: SFI: Don’t appeal! It’s time to #recogniseSTIEU
- Korea (South): Global union leaders to attend court to protest persecution of South Korean colleagues
- Cartoon: Here's How You Organize a Strike in 2016
- Turkey: DISK: The solution is democratization, not a state of emergency!
- Die türkische Regierung zensiert alle Nachrichten mit Bezug auf die Enthauptung von Soldaten an der Bosporus-Brücke in Istanbul
- Stellvertretender türkischer Premierminister: “Während des Ausnahmezustands wird die Europäische Menschenrechtskonvention außer Kraft gesetzt!”
- Teachers Arrested Protesting Police Brutality in the Twin Cities
- Standingman protest in Bucharest against AKP’s antidemocratic constrain
- ΠΟΙΟΣ ΕΜΠΟΔΙΣΕ ΤΟ ΠΡΑΞΙΚΟΠΗΜΑ ΣΤΗΝ ΤΟΥΡΚΙΑ ΚΑΙ ΠΟΙΟΣ ΒΓΗΚΕ ΣΤΟΥΣ ΔΡΟΜΟΥΣ;
- Twin Cities Unions Respond to Police Violence
- Turkish Deputy PM: “During state of emergency, the European Agreement on Human Rights is suspended!”
- Turkish government extends its attacks on press: 34 journalists press credentials cancelled
- Turkish government censures all news related to beheading of soldiers on the Bosphorus Bridge in Istanbul
- Greece: Workers bracing for new Troika attack on their rights
- Turkey: Dictatorship a Step Closer After Deplorable Failed Coup
- Erdogan loyalists attack the media in wake of failed coup
- Jihadist and Muslim mobs Erdogan called to take to the streets are attacking Alevites in Malatya
- Bangladesh: Court indicts 41 on murder charges in 2013 factory fall
- Los ataques y provocaciones en marcha después de la declaración de “El Dia de Democracia”
- Who prevented the coup and who hit the streets? – Ali Ergin Demirhan
- Turkey: A photojournalist killed and media occupied in Turkey: democracy was targeted
- Turkey: Union in Turkey responds to attempted coup
- Colombia: Government Announces New Fines Against Striking Truckers
- Popular Uprising Backs Striking Teachers in Southern Mexico
- How to Take the Initiative in Health Care Bargaining
Free Reza Shahabi Now; Time to increase pressures for freedom of all jailed labour activists in Iran
We are highlighting the challenges relating to the total disregard of the plight of jailed labour activists in Iran and the continued harassment of labour activists both in jail and outside the prison system. In particular, we are calling on all labour and progressive human rights' organizations and activists to increase pressures on the Islamic Republic of Iran (IRI) for the freedom of imprisoned labour activists. No labour activists have been released in recent months despites the IRI's public relations stunt and selective release of a few political prisoners in recent weeks. All political prisoners must be released immediately. Please take a moment to call for an immediate freedom of Reza Shahabi, Shahrokh Zamani, Mohammad Jarahi, Behhnam Ebrahimzadeh, Pedram Nasrollahi, Rasoul Bodaghi and other imprisoned labour activists in Iran.