Global Solidarity Action Day
Justice for workers and people of Iran
Friday, June 26, 2009
Time: 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Where: The Embassy of the
Islamic Republic of Iran - 245 Metcalfe St., Ottawa
Join workers, unions and progressive and human rights activists in protest against the gross violation of workers’ and human rights in Iran. For 30 years, the Islamic Republic of Iran has imposed appalling political, economic and social conditions on workers and impoverished people. Iranian workers have consistently witnessed the imposition of anti-labour and neo-liberal policies and practices, such as privatizations and mass lay offs while having no rights to organize or strike in addition to facing ongoing persecution and imprisonment. The current wave of massive protests in Iran following the fraud election is a clear indication of people’s total dissatisfaction with the government.
Activists of Canadian unions, including CUPE, CUPW, CTF, NUPGE, PSAC and Iranian-Canadian workers and labour activists (the Solidarity Campaign with the Workers’ Struggles in Iran), protest outside Iranian embassy in Ottawa on June 26th Global Solidarity Action Day.
Protesters will demand:
· Freedom of all arrested workers, students and political prisoners
· Justice for people who have been killed and injured by security forces during recent protests in Iran
· Right to organize, strike, protest, free speech and assembly
· Free bus workers’ union leaders, Mansour Osanloo and Ebrahim Madadi, and Farzad Kamangar, a teacher on death row.
· Drop all charges and prison sentences against labour, social and political activists in Iran, including all May Day detainees and those arrested during recent protests.
International Alliance in Support of Workers in Iran (IASWI) - www.workers-iran.org